Introducing the 1500 A big change occurred for the 1973 model year, as Triumph released the Spitfire 1500 model. I glow in the dark. Panel indicators and panel illumination have been converted to led. For a basic restoration, Moss supplies body panels, floor pans, front air dams, carpet kits, upholstery kits and convertible tops. First step will be to disassemble the interior to get to the gearbox top and see if there isn't something broken under the shifter, but I'm thinking something farther down. I had ordered a Shelter Logic enclosure.
Bead blasted and re-painted more parts. Loosely translated storing stuff somewhere in the basement. I also plan on using the same bracket for the rear. Tomorrow will be another day. Putting new back foams on one of the seats after the frame had been sand blasted and painted and the webbing replaced. Decided to set the newly chromed front bumper in place and check the alignment of everything overall. Despite having a curvy Italian body, strong sales numbers and a class win at LeMans, the popular, gutsy Triumph Spitfire gets little respect in the sports car world.
Started final assembly and covering on right kick panel. The only problem is that one of them has a broken frame. The Spitfire body was also fine. I think there is something on the mainshaft that broke. The Spit now has courtesy lighting in each foot well and over the ignition switch. It is now January 3, 2014. Join 30 other followers Sign me up! The current body shell was originally British Racing Green and has been repainted a horrible non British Leyland sort of metallic bluish something difficult to describe.
Not much ambition to work in that temperature and wet atmosphere. Prior to final assembly, all internal transmission components are ultrasonically cleaned to insure maximum cleanliness. Sun Visors While looking for other things I ran across the 3 sets of sun visors. This particular punch seems to leave a slight burr in one spot, otherwise a nice clean hole. I'm using the washer fluid as a conductor to sense the level in the reservoir rather than a float switch.
Here the engine and transmission are assembled and on the frame. June 07, 2012 One of the lifts. I have some of the best Triumph guys in the U. We assume you will have the block re-bored and any other machining done as required. Next up is the mainshaft. That part is going fine. They were plain mouse infested nasty.
Had to bring it back in before the rain started. There are different schools of thought on this, one being to be sure the radiator cowls are in place and put nothing in front of the radiator. I did not trust just making measurements from the documentation that was available. I was lazy about cutting a rectangular hole to accommodate the original version of the switch. I'd like to return it to the original color, but don't actually care for that color code 17. One could hardly stand to be near them. During the tests we are able to shift between gears, confirming proper synchronizer and shift linkage action.
It appears that the 76 inner trunk mounting brackets will work fine with the 71 bumper, it is just the bolt size and position through the trunk floor are a bit different. Sorting out the steering column and ignition switch for installation. I also think there is about a car and a half in boxes etc in the basement. Connected E-Brake Warning light switch. The later mufflers and brackets are offset from the earlier versions. Got an exhaust hose to pipe the exhaust outside so it can at least be run for more than a few seconds.
The driver door latch handle did not work. I will be replacing the rocker assembly with a bushed version. The other side of the engine. The engines are rugged, but be sure to check the thrust washers that hold the crank in position as they are prone to wear. The radiator petcock was replaced. A panel dimmer has been added and the 4 way flasher switch has been changed to the later version. Rainy and sleet this morning.
Suspension was also enhanced with a stiffer front anti-roll bar and a wider track that featured longer axles. This got the alignment of the body to the frame so the outriggers could be tack welded. There are loads of parts and upgrade kits, as well as club support. Its 1147cc engine featured 63 horsepower and the car had a top speed of 91 mph. Also assembled the circuit board for the windshield screen washer level indicator. The gauge illumination is a little more of a challenge.
The commutator showed no signs of wear and polished up nicely. On both sides, the correct springs, new shocks, all bushings, trunions, ball joints, tie rod ends and sway bar hardware, grease fittings replaced. While you have the top cover off I'd recomend a shifter bushing kit for it. It appears the bolt positions through the rear valance and the rear fenders are the same. The last 4 will require putting the car in the air some and getting under it. The body needed to be set on to align the new frame outriggers.